PTO Meeting Notes

CES PTO JUNE 2016 MINUTES

CES PTO MEETING MINUTES: June  7, 2016

Meeting called to order: 6:22 pm

CES Library – Babysitting in Room 232

IN ATTENDANCE:  PTO Board Members Carissa Zuniga; Dana Brandow; Deb Lane; Kristina Macyowskie; Kim Rossman; Shana Belsito, Mary Ann Ciampoli, Jamie Auger, Marcella Junco, Nicole Willette, Kristin Spirek, Kelly Honsinger, Faith Ryan, Valerie Glasheen.

Approval of May Minutes:  Marcella Junco; Mrs. Ciampoli seconded.

Treasurer’s Report:  Deb Lane reported balances, as of June 6, 2016, of $23,705.75/checking and $5,072.20/savings. Copies of the PTO event listing and their corresponding income/expense and gain/loss were made available.

Thank-yous:

  • Scholastic Book Fair – Kate Howe, Chair.  Significant lack of volunteers made this book fair somewhat overwhelming.  Discussed the possibility of providing incentives for volunteers, i.e., a drawing to get people to help out.
  • Sarah Weeks visit was a success – assemblies, a luncheon and gala were held. Kids all got copies of Sarah’s new book.
  • Transportation Breakfast, K-1 Read-In, Strawberry Festival all successes.
  • Custodial Staff Appreciation – going on simultaneously with this meeting.

Upcoming Events:

  • Staples School Supply Order – lists were finalized and people can order online through June 17; paper orders due June 8.
  • June 20 – 5th Grade Celebration – Kim Rossman/Kim Frazier, Chairs.  Event will take place at Birch Hill this year.  Forms went home to 5th grade parents. T-shirt vendor has been selected.
  • June 22 – Faculty Luncheon – Connie Tyrell/Nicole Willette, Chairs – planning underway.

Miscellaneous Items:

  • Community Fair Updates – tentative date is 9/24 – Marcella Junco will coordinate volunteers, Jess Malone coordinating prizes, Carol-Jo Pusateri is coordinating the auction.  Still looking for chairs for food donations, games and an overall chair.
  • Ongoing programs – Box Tops, Price Chopper, Colonie Center – some fundraisers coming to an end in June.  Ink cartridges took in $88.95. There will be a pizza party for the Box Tops winner in June. Marcella reported that Box Tops can submitted through the end of the year.  Ms. Arno ordered many gym supplies through Box Tops this year.
  • Wildcats Marathon, June 9 – PTO is running a booth with drinks/popcorn/cookies – have many of these items in storage.
  • Discussion took place about a lack of communication in relation to some PTO events/ things happening in the district.  Talked about doing an ice cream social before school starts to get people to be involved in PTO.  Important to put a schedule of events on the calendar and share with the school community, perhaps through the use of room parents.  Some events will be restructured and/or eliminated as 6th grade comes down to CES.   Volunteers are an issue as well; talked about reaching out to high schools and junior high for volunteers/working with teachers there to liaison between PTO and the kids. There will be a survey sent out to elementary kids about programs that are important to them so that we can tailor our programs/assemblies/special events to better represent the CES population.
  • Reminder that via school banking, kids can submit copies of report cards and earn up to $30.
  • Board nominations – Shana Belsito is staying on as president, Jaimie Auger will be new recording secretary. Faith Ryan – motion to install new board Jamie Auger – motion to accept

Special Presentation:  Jen McIntosh represents the home selling division of Usborne Books & More, an alternative to Scholastic, which provides home selling and educational services to schools and libraries.  Schools can earn free books based on purchases at their book fairs; Jen can run book fairs with little assistance, eliminating the need for such a comprehensive volunteer network.  PTO approved doing one Scholastic and one Usborne Book fair next year.

Faculty Input:

Mrs. Ciampoli will collect the list of room parents’ next year and provide them to the PTO to facilitate communication between the classroom and PTO in relation to volunteer opportunities.

Principal’s Corner:  Mr. Chevrier is finishing his tenure at CES at the end of this school year and will be moving on to a more all-encompassing administrative position.  Thanked board members for their assistance and commitment throughout the years.  Mr. Derby will be coming to CES from MHMS next year.

Meeting was adjourned at 7:41pm.